I’ve been bitten by a Maven2 bug in the release plug-in, which causes the build to fail with a less-than-informative NullPointerException when the <connection> element is not present on the <scm> tag.
On the user list archive I found a post dating back to October 2005 which made me think that the issue was solved by a latter release… but I still got the same error.
After posting my question to maven’s user list, I got a response telling me to add the missing elements. However, that led me to do some more research, and found that the issue was still open, as MRELEASE-108.
I voted for the issue, and started to watch it. Also posted back to the list… and now, I’m also telling you, my unknown reader.